Timeline: 1868 – 2012

This timeline is on display in the main hall of the Hudson River Psychiatric Center Historical Society museum:

• 1867

Poughkeepsie chosen as site for the Hudson River Asylum

• 1869

Main Building designed by Vaux, Withers and Co

• 1871

First 7 patients admitted

• 1886

HRSH School of Nursing founded

• 1889

Central Group and Edgewood opened

• 1891

Cottages built for additional patients

• 1898

North Wing added to Main Building

• 1906

Our Lady of Rosary Chapel opened

• 1908

Inwood + Pilgrim Hall opened
Acute Unit for assessment & short term treatment featuring Hydrotherapy opened

• 1914

Hospital farm opened

• 1918

Outpatient clinics in Poughkeepsie, Peekskill, Mt. Vernon & Yonkers opened

• 1924

Cleveland Home opened

• 1926

Avery Chapel opened

• 1930

Infirmary opened, later named Brookside

• 1931

Avery Home opened

• 1934

Hillcrest School for children opened

• 1935

Ryon Hall opened

• 1938

Insulin therapy started

• 1946

Formal training of food service personnel

• 1952

Clarence O Cheney memorial building opened

• 1954

Ross Pavilion opened, housed psychiatric patient with tuberculosis

• 1955

Census of nearly 6,000

• 1957

Lobotomy / Insulin Therapy – discontinued

• 1960

90% of wards unlocked
Dutchess County first geographic based unit opened

• 1971

Rehab Center opened (later dedicated to Herman B. Snow)

• 1982

1st HRPC Historical Museum established

• 1989

Main Building added to National Historic Landmark registry

• 1994

Consolidation with Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center

• 2001

Closing of HRPC lower campus

• 2002

Alliance House opened – New crisis residence

• 2003

Jean Wolfersteig MSPS
Executive Director 2003-Present

• 2004

Rededication of HRPC Historical Museum – May 19th, 2004

• 2005

Closing of Administration Building

• 2012

Hudson River Psychiatric Center is officially closed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *